[texbirds] Over Quoting

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 12:33:45 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

One of the neat features I really like with Freelists is that it has
an over quoting limit. I have the list set to send your message to
moderation of you quote more than 20 lines of another message. Many
people have the habit of quoting an entire message, often of great
length. This really mucks up the archives with sometime a whole change
of the same message over and over in the archives.

Quote only what you need for context, pair it down some and don't be lazy!

Freelists figures out that a message contains quoted material by
looking for common quote markers like a line starting with > or
something like that. If you forward lists from eBird I would suggest
that you set your mail client to not include a quote character like
that when you forward a message.

I've been clearing the excessive quote messages from moderation, but I
may stop that if I continue to get large numbers of them.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX