[texbirds] Re: Others magic and Quintana Connecticut Warbler hunt (photo to I...

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 18:05:43 +0000

To my eye, if not a Veery,  it would be easier to make a case for Russet
Nightingale Thrush than Connecticut from this picture. ☹

Fred Collins
             (281) 357-5324
Director: Kleb Woods Nature Center
             Cypress Top Historical Park
Commissioner Steve Radack
Harris County Precinct 3
www.pct3.hctx.net<http://www.pct3.hctx.net>

From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx<mailto:MBB22222@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 00:51:36 -0400
Subject: [texbirds] Others magic and Quintana Connecticut Warbler hunt (photo
to ID from today)
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

As you all know Ron Weeks claimed that he heard and recorded Connecticut
Warbler  in Quintana on Saturday morning; more people heard that song later (me
included so can I say ‘me too’ ;)) BTW one well known birder-photographer tried
to use his magic during the whole day quest to find this warbler. He half
succeeded; butterflies  started to land on his hat. Not sure if that was what
he wanted:

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/143297050

Bird was heard singing inside the loop in northern side, inside heavy bushed
area. On that day I saw mouse with bill running a few inches above the ground
from pile of dead sticks to bushy area outside the loop in north-west corner of
sanctuary.  Some people were sitting there later for hours but saw nothing.
Today also a few people spent some time observing this corner and to my best
knowledge did not see the COWA.

Today, during the evening , when walking this corner (this time with camera
ready) the scene from yesterday repeated in exact the same way (déjà vu I could
say). This time I managed to get series of shots. Horrible ones - it is going
to be the worst photo I ever posted but hopefully the warbler can be ID,
Connecticut or not. Upper parts seem to be brown but as we checked in guide
juvenile is brownish, no sure if that brownish., belly should be yellow is
rather whitish, legs are pink. Thrushes are much larger and have spots, so does
Ovenbird. And this bird seems to have solid hood. Eye ring is large and
complete; not sure if this going to be well visible in low-res photo posted but
even in camera and in viewfinder I could see it well. Well is getting really
late - lets experts ID this bird. I also talked today about juvenile singing;
had opinion that if this is a juvenile male then it could. I also think that
there is possible that it might be more than one COWA there; why not? Only few
days ago eastern species were there.  Forgot to add that COMA song was heard
today by several people.

Here is photo (if there are questions I will try to answer them this evening):

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/143297049

Word of caution - if this bird is a COWA my suggestion is to not sit there and
wait but rather walk by from time to time. Both times I showed up bird run
away; there is only a few second to have a look so be prepare.

BTW it was incredible weekend in Quintana - maybe next week I will find time to
post a few photos (up to 5 vireos today (no, none had whiskers) and much more.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
=