[texbirds] Osprey nest- Harris County

  • From: Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 18:31:19 -0500

I've been watching an Osprey nest, that is on top of a tower, the last few
weeks. I still have not seen any babies yet but the adults are there every
day and still carrying nesting material to the nest. The nest is near where
I live, so I have tried to look at it every day. Today I heard an adult
making a lot of noise so I went to look at the nest. I saw a worker
climbing down from the tower. One of the adults was flying around the tower
making a lot of noise. I hope these workers are not going to harm the nest
or destroy it. When they left the Osprey landed beside the nest and was
still very vocal. I'm not sure what kind of tower this is so here is a
picture of the tower and the nest.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/14253607413/
I don't mind letting birders know the location of the nest because it is so
high up that someone on the ground cannot disturb it. It is about 1/2 mile
west of Lake Houston and can be seen from FM1960. It is a block or two
south of FM1960. I hope there will be no more disturbance from workers
because there should be babies soon. I'm not sure how rare Osprey nests are
in the area, but this is the only one I know of. If anybody with more
knowledge on Osprey nests would like to respond, it would be interesting to
know how often nests are seen in the area.
Greg Page
Houston