[texbirds] Old Port Isabel & South Padre

  • From: "Mary Beth Stowe" <mbstowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 17:09:14 -0500

Hi, all!

Pat Heirs and I birded the above areas this morning, and didn't get any
further than the usual "bad" spot on OPIR, not because it was wet, but
because whatever they were doing to the road made it look like some of these
treacherous desert canyon roads I was nuts enough to go down in my younger
years, so we turned around there. But it was a gorgeous morning, very
slight breeze, and that pond near the south end has water in it again! Best
bird was a male Redhead (!), but also had families of both grebes, BB
Whistling Ducks, and in addition a Fulvous flyover and a Green Heron, which
was new for my OPIR list. At the very start of the road we had a nice pair
of White-tailed Hawks, and at the next stop some squealing Harris' Hawks.
Near the turnaround point we had a couple of Botteri's Sparrows sit on the
fence (Cassin's were also singing), and Pat spotted the day's only Caracara
WAY down on a big power structure! We also had a Long-billed Curlew coming
back, and picked up the usual Bewick's and Cactus Wrens that you get here.
No Aplomados today.

Because we couldn't make it all the way through we took SR 48 up to Port
Isabel and stopped at the boat ramp on the way; the Oystercatcher was really
working on something in the water, and we had several Wilson's Plovers and a
single Black-bellied. Other than that just the usual gulls and terns,
including several Least (oh, we had a single Ring-billed.)

The beach on the bay access at South Padre was the best we'd ever seen it!
(We figured the city had to have come in and cleaned and graded it or
something.) Anyway, Sandwich and Black Terns were out the yin yang, and we
had a few Royals as well, along with more Least Terns. Shorebirds were
pretty sparse: we did have a pair of Marbled Godwits and a couple of
Willets, but that was about it. The star of the show here was a piebald
Reddish Egret dancing so vigorously that he was worth making a video of!

We didn't expect to see much at the Convention Centre, but we did scare up a
female Hooded Oriole, and a very cool Saucy Beauty moth! The boardwalk had
cackling Least Bitterns and Clapper Rails, but not much visible (even the
ever-reliable Common Gallinule at the end of the marsh leg almost didn't
show)! We did have a nighthawk batting away and several Barn Swallows.

Had a great lunch at Parrot Eyes after that, then headed home, picking up
Chihuahuan Ravens along 100 along with a White Ibis. Pictures are here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2015%20Field%20Trips/July/Old%20Port
%20Isabel%20Road.html

.or here:

http://tinyurl.com/oe5js7x

Bird List:

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna autumnalis

Fulvous Whistling-Duck Dendrocygna bicolor

Mottled Duck Anas fulvigula

Blue-winged Teal Anas discors

Redhead Aythya americana

Northern Bobwhite Colinus virginianus

Least Grebe Tachybaptus dominicus

Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps

Neotropic Cormorant Phalacrocorax brasilianus

Brown Pelican Pelecanus occidentalis

Least Bittern Ixobrychus exilis

Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias

Great Egret Ardea alba

Snowy Egret Egretta thula

Little Blue Heron Egretta caerulea

Tricolored Heron Egretta tricolor

Reddish Egret Egretta rufescens

Green Heron Butorides virescens

White Ibis Eudocimus albus

White-faced Ibis Plegadis chihi

Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura

Harris's Hawk Parabuteo unicinctus

White-tailed Hawk Geranoaetus albicaudatus

Clapper Rail Rallus longirostris

Common Gallinule Gallinula galeata

American Coot Fulica americana

Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus

American Oystercatcher Haematopus palliatus

Black-bellied Plover Pluvialis squatarola

Wilson's Plover Charadrius wilsonia

Killdeer Charadrius vociferus

Willet Tringa semipalmata

Long-billed Curlew Numenius americanus

Marbled Godwit Limosa fedoa

Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla

Laughing Gull Leucophaeus atricilla

Ring-billed Gull Larus delawarensis

Least Tern Sternula antillarum

Caspian Tern Hydroprogne caspia

Black Tern Chlidonias niger

Forster's Tern Sterna forsteri

Royal Tern Thalasseus maximus

Sandwich Tern Thalasseus sandvicensis

Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto

Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura

Common Ground-Dove Columbina passerina

Common Nighthawk Chordeiles minor

Golden-fronted Woodpecker Melanerpes aurifrons

Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris

Crested Caracara Caracara cheriway

Great Kiskadee Pitangus sulphuratus

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher Tyrannus forficatus

White-eyed Vireo Vireo griseus

Chihuahuan Raven Corvus cryptoleucus

Horned Lark Eremophila alpestris

Purple Martin Progne subis

Barn Swallow Hirundo rustica

Verdin Auriparus flaviceps

Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii

Cactus Wren Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus

Curve-billed Thrasher Toxostoma curvirostre

Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos

Olive Sparrow Arremonops rufivirgatus

Botteri's Sparrow Peucaea botterii

Cassin's Sparrow Peucaea cassinii

Northern Cardinal Cardinalis cardinalis

Dickcissel Spiza americana

Eastern Meadowlark Sturnella magna

Great-tailed Grackle Quiscalus mexicanus

Hooded Oriole Icterus cucullatus

House Sparrow Passer domesticus

72 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe