[texbirds] Old Port Isabel Rd & South Padre

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:52:36 -0500 (EST)

Hi, all!

Mary Jane Syvertsen and I had a great time birding the aforementioned areas
 yesterday, and cutting to the chase, she was able to get her life
Flammulated  Owl!

Back to the narrative, we arrived at the south end of OPIR at sunrise and
did the BBS routine, picking up tons of eastern Meadowlarks, shrikes, and
good  numbers of Long-billed Curlews, and I was delighted to hear a Cassin's
Sparrow  singing already!  Raptors were represented well with Harriers, a
White-tailed Kite, White-tailed and Harris' Hawks, and a possible Peregrine
that  was just too far away to ID with certainty.  MJ did spot a falcon on a
post  down the road, and an initial scope view made me think Aplomado, but as
we got  closer it morphed into a Merlin (it had a particularly streaky
belly which made  it look like a "cumberbund" at a distance)...  She also
spotted a brilliant  Vermilion Flycatcher at that little homestead with the
chicken coops, which was  my first for that route!  The canal had a bunch of
Shovelers, plus our only  Great Egret of the day.

Heading up to SPI we were shocked to see the Convention Centre full of
vehicles; the sign said a nature expo was going on!  We headed to the Bay
Beach first to look at shorebirds (always a delight to enjoy them from the
comfort of your car), but we had to go a little further north along the beach
 get them (tide was way out at the time).  But get them we did:  again,  I
had to chuckle at the fact that I was sweating getting the Piping Plover for
 the Big Year last year (finally got them in August), and here it was only
February with TONS of 'em on the beach!  They were in company with tons of
Semipalmated, too, for good comparison.  Several Dunlin were running about,
 and was surprised to have only one Sanderling in the bunch!  A pretty
flock  of Skimmers flew by, and had the usual contingent of larids lounging
around,  along with lots of White Pelicans and a few red-breasted Mergansers
out
in the  water.

I dropped MJ off at the "migrant trap" in the hopes that someone would
already have the owl staked out, while I went and parked in the Back 40.   When
I got back there myself I was shocked to see that Terry Fuller was the only
 one there looking for the owl; even MJ had disappeared!  (Guess all the
expo attendees were in the building...)  He had a blob that he suspected  was
the bird, so as he went to get his scope, I also found a blob (turned out
to  be the same blob at a different angle), and when Terry returned and got
the  scope on it, we concluded it was indeed the owl, as we could make out
fluffy  back feathers, and at another angle we could clearly see the
patterning on the  wings (couldn't see his face, though).  Scarlet showed up
about
that time  and without missing a beat got Terry's scope on the bird at another
impossible  angle where you could just barely see the vermiculations on his
breast!   So, as another Texbirder said at one point, we had enough
"composite" views to  convince us that it was indeed the bird and not an
odd-looking chunk of bark!  :-)  Later we had several people come by and say,
"You
shoulda been here  yesterday--it was right out in the open!"
:-P

After that we headed out on the boardwalk, where we wondered aloud if that
American Bittern was still hanging around.  A really odd noise turned out
to be a Pied-billed Grebe making some kind of alarm call, I guess, and a
Common  Gallinule gave great photo ops!  The end of the pier was stuffed with
Redheads, American Wigeon, and Laughing Gulls of course, but we also enjoyed
 Little Blue and Tricolored Herons, more Reddish Egrets, and a Marbled
Godwit  that came sailing in!  On the way back I was about to comment on a
Blue-winged Teal when MJ grabbed my arm and hissed, "There he is!!!"  And
there
was the American Bittern in all his glory, sitting right out in the open
in the grassy area to the north, stalking his lunch without a care in the
world!  Despite the rarity of the owl, THIS guy was the Bird of the Day for
me!

We poked around the boardwalk a little more, trying to draw out an
obstinate Marsh Wren, but it was time to go before long (and it was starting to

spit to boot).  Headed home with 75 species for the morning; man, I love  this
place!!  :-)

Pictures and recordings are posted here:

_http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/20
13%20Field%20Trips/February/OPIR%20&%20SPI.html_
(http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2013%20Field%20Trips/February/OPIR%20&%20SPI.html)

Bird List:

American Wigeon                       Anas americana
Blue-winged Teal                      Anas discors
Northern Shoveler                     Anas clypeata
Northern Pintail                      Anas acuta
Redhead                               Aythya americana
Lesser Scaup                          Aythya affinis
Red-breasted Merganser                Mergus serrator
Pied-billed Grebe                     Podilymbus podiceps
Neotropic Cormorant                   Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Double-crested Cormorant              Phalacrocorax auritus
American White Pelican                Pelecanus erythrorhynchos
Brown Pelican                         Pelecanus occidentalis
American Bittern                      Botaurus lentiginosus
Great Blue Heron                      Ardea herodias
Great Egret                           Ardea alba
Snowy Egret                           Egretta thula
Little Blue Heron                     Egretta caerulea
Tricolored Heron                      Egretta tricolor
Reddish Egret                         Egretta  rufescens
Black-crowned Night-Heron             Nycticorax nycticorax
White Ibis                            Eudocimus albus
Roseate Spoonbill                     Platalea ajaja
Osprey                                Pandion haliaetus
White-tailed Kite                     Elanus leucurus
Northern Harrier                      Circus cyaneus
Harris's Hawk                         Parabuteo unicinctus
White-tailed Hawk                     Geranoaetus albicaudatus
Sora                                  Porzana  carolina
Common Gallinule                      Gallinula galeata
American Coot                         Fulica americana
Black-bellied Plover                  Pluvialis squatarola
Semipalmated Plover                   Charadrius  semipalmatus
Piping Plover                         Charadrius melodus
Killdeer                              Charadrius vociferus
Willet                                Tringa semipalmata
Long-billed Curlew                    Numenius americanus
Marbled Godwit                        Limosa fedoa
Ruddy Turnstone                       Arenaria interpres
Sanderling                            Calidris alba
Least Sandpiper                       Calidris minutilla
Dunlin                                Calidris  alpina
Short-billed Dowitcher                Limnodromus griseus
Laughing Gull                         Leucophaeus atricilla
Ring-billed Gull                      Larus delawarensis
Herring Gull                          Larus  argentatus
Gull-billed Tern                      Gelochelidon nilotica
Caspian Tern                          Hydroprogne caspia
Forster's Tern                        Sterna forsteri
Royal Tern                            Thalasseus maximus
Black Skimmer                         Rynchops niger
Eurasian Collared-Dove                Streptopelia decaocto
Flammulated Owl                       Otus flammeolus
Belted Kingfisher                     Megaceryle alcyon
Golden-fronted Woodpecker             Melanerpes aurifrons
Crested Caracara                      Caracara cheriway
American Kestrel                      Falco sparverius
Merlin                                Falco columbarius
Vermilion Flycatcher                  Pyrocephalus rubinus
Loggerhead Shrike                     Lanius ludovicianus
White-eyed Vireo                      Vireo griseus
House Wren                            Troglodytes aedon
Marsh Wren                            Cistothorus palustris
Bewick's Wren                         Thryomanes bewickii
Northern Mockingbird                  Mimus polyglottos
European Starling                     Sturnus vulgaris
Orange-crowned Warbler                Oreothlypis celata
Common Yellowthroat                   Geothlypis trichas
Yellow-rumped Warbler                 Setophaga coronata
Wilson's Warbler                      Cardellina pusilla
Cassin's Sparrow                      Peucaea cassinii
Savannah Sparrow                      Passerculus sandwichensis
Northern Cardinal                     Cardinalis cardinalis
Red-winged Blackbird                  Agelaius phoeniceus
Eastern Meadowlark                    Sturnella magna
Great-tailed Grackle                  Quiscalus mexicanus
75  SPECIES
Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)