[texbirds] Re: Oh baby, how sweet.

  • From: mitch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:33:40 -0700

Hi all,

Thanks Brush!  This is great to see, and an investigation
long overdue frankly.  Hopefully more will pry further.

If one went back in my bird news columns at my utopianature
webpage, oh about 10 years ago, and multiple occasions since,
I have written about texana Scrub-Jays: texana is more different
from californicus than insularis (Island S-Jay) is.  That may
not be true on a genetic level, but as an observer of the birds
and their behavior, that was my takeaway.  These texana are such
a different animal from the Pacific birds.  I am less familiar
with the various interior woodhousei clade birds but these seem
quite a different beast from them to me as well.  I've had freinds
visit and like me having californicus as your default Scrub-Jay,
they can hardly believe these dinky things are them too.  I have
a bunch of audio of these texana, and some sounds I never heard
out of any other Scrub-Jay anywhere else.  The slowly crackling
potato chip bag is amazing.  Do other Scrub-Jays do that one?

One interesting aspect of the texana we have had nest around our
yard was that they let all the young of the year, from all three
broods, stay in the territory throughout the nesting season (my
californicus never allowed this).  Until one day in early fall
when they kick all young from all broods out together the same
very, very loud day, or two.  Multiple breeding seasons and falls
I watched this, and even have recorded the eviction dates.

Split texana Scrub-Jay!  There aren't enough things called
Texas this or that anyway.  ;)

Mitch Heindel
Utopia, Texas
www.utopianature.com