[texbirds] Nueces County BBS

  • From: "Judy Kestner" <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds posts" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 08:46:40 -0500

I tried to conduct my nightjar surveys on the Petronila and Kingsville routes
last week, but the wind was howling at about 30 mph, even though it was
midnight, so I had to abandon my efforts.
Too bad, because on Sunday June 2 Susan Foster and I conducted the Petronila
Breeding Bird Survey in Nueces County, the first part of which follows the
Petronila nightjar survey route, and we tallied 40 Common Nighthawks there!

Due to the drought, the fields that are normally about waist-high in sorghum
and corn were pretty much bare, so the numbers of Red-winged Blackbirds was way
down.  It was weird to see so much bare ground, but that offered us great looks
at Horned Larks, and we had lots of time to count the passing cars.  It's sad
when the sight of a Mourning Dove elicits oohs and ahhs from the compilers.....

A fairly boring BBS overall, and for the first time since I've done this BBS, I
did not add any new birds to the list.

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi)