[texbirds] Nothing unusual but migration still underway in the Valley

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:12:33 -0500

We may post some more details later, but I wanted to share my general
impressions of birding with John the last two mornings at and near Santa
Ana National Wildlife Refuge. Warblers such as Chestnut-sided, Magnolia,
Tennessee, Black-and-white, Canada, Blackburnian, and others are still in
pretty good numbers (especially yesterday at Santa Ana), although the
Yellow Warblers are really starting to make their presence known. Red-eyed
Vireos are dominating the vireo list, but there are still some Warbling,
Philadelphia, and even a Blue-headed today on one of the LRGVNWR tracts we
are studying. Lots of Eastern Wood-Pewees, a few Olive-sided Flycatchers,
and good numbers of Empidonax (of those I heard some Willow Flycatchers
singing). It seems slightly late for Great Crested Flycatcher and Eastern
Kingbird, although I have to remind myself that it's only mid-May. Small
numbers of Broad-winged Hawks and Mississipi Kites were still present,
along with the resident Gray Hawks and even a couple Red-shouldered Hawks.
Summe residents filtering in include many Yellow-billed Cuckoos and some
Groove-billed Anis. A Gull-billed Tern carrying food toward the river and
Mexico indicates local breeding in a slightly unusual spot.
There was rain yesterday and in some spots this morning, but how much is a
fallout and how much is just heavy migration is anyone's guess. Certainly
the fresh green foliage and more abundant insect-life reward those
individuals stopping in.
Regards and good birding,
Tim (and John) Brush
Edinburg, TX