[texbirds] Notes from the coast 2/15/2013

  • From: Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 22:15:51 -0500 (EST)

The coast was very birdy today. I started the day at High Island where flocks
of Robins and Common Grackles were feasting on privet and yaupon berries. Heard
a chickadee and flushed a Woodcock there were warblers in the trees (probably
all yellow-rumped) and sparrows in the thickets. Both White-crowned and
White-throated were calling.

Bolivar Flats was spectacular this afternoon. The tide and light were perfect
for watching from the North Jetty and there was lots to look at you can see
what I found on my list below.

Gadwall  15
Northern Shoveler  8
Green-winged Teal  104
Greater/Lesser Scaup  38     too far away to id
Red-breasted Merganser  41
Pied-billed Grebe  1
Neotropic Cormorant  38
Double-crested Cormorant  3
American White Pelican  440
Brown Pelican  26
Great Blue Heron  9
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  21
Little Blue Heron  1
Reddish Egret  2
White Ibis  31
Roseate Spoonbill  75
Northern Harrier  3
Red-tailed Hawk  4
Black-bellied Plover  205
Semipalmated Plover  9
Piping Plover  12
American Oystercatcher  2
American Avocet  5000
Greater Yellowlegs  4
Willet  150
Lesser Yellowlegs  4
Long-billed Curlew  32
Marbled Godwit  116
Ruddy Turnstone  2
Sanderling  125
Western Sandpiper  3
Least Sandpiper  1
peep sp.  1635
Dunlin  845
Short-billed Dowitcher  445
Bonaparte's Gull  2
Laughing Gull  408
Ring-billed Gull  162
Herring Gull  10
Gull-billed Tern  1
Caspian Tern  5
Forster's Tern  31
Sterna sp.  154     Birds were roosting and some field marks were impossible to
see.
Royal Tern  15
Black Skimmer  807
Barn Owl  1
Loggerhead Shrike  3
Horned Lark  1
Savannah Sparrow  2
Red-winged Blackbird  3
Eastern Meadowlark  2
Eastern/Western Meadowlark  5

There are lots of Red-tails and Harriers up and down the peninsula. I had 24
Red-tails in Port Bolivar yesterday.

I looked for a Razorbill off shore but haven't found it yet.

Winnie

Winnie Burkett
Friendswood & the Bolivar Peninsula