[texbirds] Northern Bobwhite, Harlan's Hawk, Cassin's Sparrow at King Ranch, 12/03/14

  • From: Tom Langschied <TLangschied@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 17:30:57 +0000

TexBirders,
Despite the foggy start of the day this past Wednesday, I had a good morning
birding the Santa Gertrudis Division of King Ranch which is west of Kingsville
in Kleberg Co.  Overall I had 64 species with some of the highlights of the
morning included two big coveys of bobwhite, a Harlan's Hawk, and two Cassin's
Sparrows.  While the Northern Bobwhite are rather common on the ranch this
winter (given our good late summer/fall rains), we had one covey that fed on
the mowed berm of the road and gave great looks.  Interestingly, one of the hen
quail had a lot of white feathers that came down her back, which looked odd and
gave the her the amusing appearance of a ptarmigan.  The Cassin's Sparrow can
be a difficult bird to find here in the winter.
See further below for a complete list of birds seen.
Good birding,
Tom Langschied
Kingsville, TX

Birds found on Santa Gertrudis Div.,King Ranch - Wednesday, !2/03/14

1.       Greater White-fronted Goose  1

2.       Snow Goose  14

3.       Mottled Duck  2

4.       Blue-winged Teal  1