[texbirds] No2 UTC GBBG on TCD yesterday

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 12:20:55 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday (December 18) taking advantage of so beautiful light I obtained
some photos of the Great Black-backed Gull who made Texas City Dike area as
a  part of its winter home. This one is so tame it probably would take food
from  hand; not that I tried as I am very against feeding wild birds (in
most cases),  especially gulls. One could take head portraits even with some
point and shoot  cameras.

Roosting
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147933794_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147933794)
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933830_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933830)
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933831_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933831)

Head shot
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933811_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933811)
To  study bill only small crop needed
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933813_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933813)

On the wing
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933801_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933801)
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933834_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933834)

Swimming
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933799_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933799)

Agitated and calling
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933819_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933819)
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933822_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933822)

Doing very well in Texas
_http://www.pbase.com/image/147933804_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/147933804)

BTW these who want to see key differences between GBBGs from Follet’s and
TCD look not only for individual feather patterns but easy to notice wear
stage  of some feathers. When roosting tertials and coverts:
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147933791_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147933791)

On the wing - tail feathers (white tips - gone in TCD gull tail)
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147933792_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/147933792)

BTW yesterday was a large gull conference call on Follet’s an TCD. I know
that these birds are not an exiting subject here (my last two Thayer’s type
gull  posts did not provoke discussion; and also somewhere else one seagull
got 5  different IDs - confusing, right?) so I did not process any photos
yet of a few  quite interesting gulls I photographed yesterday.  Perhaps
later, time  permitted - eventually I will try to seek opinions as my USOs
(unidentified  seagull objects) folder is growing steadily.

More TCD GBBG images:

_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/great_blackbacked_gull__texas_city_dike_121812_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/great_blackbacked_gull__texas_city_dike_121812)

Mark B Bartosik