[texbirds] Nine Soras and an Ovenbird - Terry County - Today

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:41:40 -0500

Greetings All:
Rich Kostecke and I birded Terry County all morning long and, though things
were generally to intensely damp, we had a good morning

Highlights included:

1 House Wren and 1 Yellow-headed Blackbird at a woodlot just west of Meadow.

1 House Wren, 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 Wilson's Warbler, 2 Cassin's
Sparrows, and 1 Clay-colored Sparrow at the FM 213 x CR 305 Playa.

1 Willow Flycatcher, 1 Least Flycatcher, 1 House Wren, 1 Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, 2 Yellow Warblers, 4 Wilson's Warblers, 2 Chipping Sparrows,
and 1 Yellow-headed Blackbird at an abandoned homestead well north of Tokio.

1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 1 OVENBIRD, 1 Orange-crowned Warbler, 2 Wilson's
Warblers, 5 Clay-colored Sparrows, and 1 Orchard Oriole at an abandoned
homestead just north of Tokio.

1 Olive-sided Flycatcher, 1 Western Wood Pewee, 1 Willow Flycatcher, and 2
Wilson's Warblers in Tokio.

1 Cattle Egret, 9 SORAS (Yes - nine - and those were just the ones in plain
view!), 2 American Avocets, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 5 Solitary Sandpipers, 2
Greater Yellowlegs, 8 Lesser Yellowlegs, 3 Wilson's Snipes, 1 Northern
Rough-winged Swallow, 2 Cave Swallows, 1 Marsh Wren, 1 House Wren, 1
Orange-crowned Warbler, 1 Nashville Warbler, 1 Yellow Warbler, 3 Wilson's
Warblers, and 97 Yellow-headed Blackbirds at the Tokio Playa.

Seeing one Sora is a treat; seeing nine at once is, for me, unprecedented.

1 Osprey and 2 Spotted Sandpipers at Gillham-Howell Park in Brownfield.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock