[texbirds] Nightjar survey in Nueces Co.

  • From: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx' (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 15:27:40 +0000

Last night the moon was 15/16 full and it rose high in the sky before I even
felt sleepy, so I hopped into the car and left the house at 9:50 p.m. to run
the Petronila nightjar survey route in Nueces Co.

Best bird of the night was the mosquito that carried me for ten yards and let
me drop in the middle of a puddle. Ugh, they were BIG, and they were LEGION.
The noise they made in my ears was louder than the cars roaring by and the
airplane overhead!

But for once the wind did not interfere with my hearing and I had Common
Nighthawks calling on all but one of the ten stops. (Would have been nice to
have had one on my shoulder to snap up the skeeters.)

Judy Kestner
Calallen (NW Corpus Christi)