[texbirds] Nighthawk question

  • From: "thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx" <thomas_miko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS<texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:04:03 -0500

Hi Folks,
I was watching the Common Nighthawks around my Houston hotel, last night,
and noticed that their flight style is very different from that of Lesser
Nighthawks.
Lesser Nighthawk: wings are held stiffly, wings flap with deep, single power
strokes.
Common Nighthawk: shallow, fluttery wing beats that are like a loose
butterfly.
Is this a correct observation, or was their fluttering flight in response to
the hot, humid air?
Tom
Thomas Geza Miko
Claremont
Los Angeles County, California

Http://www.tgmiko.com

Mobile: (909) 241-3300

This email was written on a cell phone, without reading glasses on.