[texbirds] Nice count of Pectorals - Ellis County

  • From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 14:02:50 -0500

Hello,
     I was not planning on going outback to check the western end of Lake
Waxahachie this afternoon due to a partially completed to-do list, and
needing sleep in preparation for a twelve hour night shift tonight.  (What
a mistake that would have been.)  The rain had let up and so I grabbed my
scope, bins and raincoat and went out to the fishing dock to scan the
lake.  I put up some shorebirds that were on the marshy peninsula.  I got
excited when the flock was a little too big to be the local Killdeer flock
(10 birds) or the lingering snipe flock (8 birds).  The birds put back down
90 feet away and was very happy to have a great count of 16 Pectoral
Sandpipers.  Knowing I don't usually see more than a couple at a time, I
checked the ebird high count for Ellis County and it was 12 birds two years
ago on the ReyRosa Ranch in Ellis County. My records indicated I also had
12 birds on Lake Bardwell during the really bad drought on Sept. 30, 2011
when the lake was half missing.
     Other shore birds were:
     Killdeer - 4
     Greater Yellowlegs - 4
     Wilson's Snipe - 6
     Other interesting birds were our first Black-chinned Hummingbird at
the feeders and 3 Neoptropic Cormorants (one bird has been consistently
spending time on a snag with a young Double-crested for the last few days
for good side-by-side comparison.) Our male Cinnamon Teal (March 17)
continues with 100+ Green and Blue winged Teal.  County high counts are
nice, they are really joyful when the birds are seen from the backyard.
   Good birding,
     Ted Drozdowski
     Lake Waxahachie
     Ellis County