[texbirds] Nice Broadwing Kettle North of Downtown Houston

  • From: "O'Keefe, Steve" <sokeefe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TEXBIRDS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:42:19 -0700

Today at about 9:25 AM I was looking north through a spotting scope from
Downtown Houston toward IAH to see if the shuttle might be out there.

I spotted a couple of broadwing hawks circling in a thermal and when I
panned up I found a few more then many more in a beautiful kettle - my
first of the season.

They rose up the thermal and then headed southwest.

I'd estimate the number at 200+ hawks.

A few turkey vulture were mixed in.

Steve O'Keefe

Stafford, TX