[texbirds] Re: Necessary Items for a Birding Trip

  • From: Ferguson/Prothro Carol/brenda <jipseez@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 23:34:17 -0500

Hi,

This can be too revealing so I am a bit nervous about putting out my few
comments…

The older I get, the less I wish to carry and also the less I need as my hikes
are shorter and less strenuous.  Such is life…but the main thing is to keep on
doing what we can…Of course, how much we take depends on what type of hike it
is.   For a regular 2 hrs birding walk, here are my main items:

Binocs
Hat
Birding bag-small with iPad(trying to learn how to do without a book), notebook
and pen, kleenex pad,
Birding Vest
Water bottle
Walking stick-if terrain uneven
a Breakfast Bar

I have also found that younger birders need nothing except binocs, smart phones
and little else.  They may be dressed only in jeans and a t-shirt but don't
ever underestimate
what they know.  I may not have their knowledge but I've found that I can enjoy
birding in Jeans and a T-shirt just as well as when I am "dressed" as a birder.
 Life changes
and I want to be able to adapt.

Good Birding,

Carol Ferguson
currently in Boerne, TX on the way to Port Aransas, TXEdit your Freelists
account settings for TEXBIRDS at