[texbirds] NW Austin (Williamson Co.) 9/28 and 9/29

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 15:18:28 -0700 (PDT)

I got out to various NW Austin (Travis/Williamson cos.) sites this weekend
hoping to capitalize on post cold front birds.  Well, there were some migrants
around, but it turned out, overall, to be less interesting than I had hoped.
My best results came from birding Lake Creek Trail (Williamson Co.) early this
(9/29) afternoon, where I managed to kick a few firsts of the season.  The full
list is provided below.  A few other highlights included a Northern Parula at
Brushy Creek Sports Park (Williamson Co.) on 9/28 and a Sora in the cattail
marsh at the north end of Lake Creek Trail on 9/28.

Lake Creek Trail 9/29:

Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  8
Snowy Egret  17
Green Heron  1
Black Vulture  23
Turkey Vulture  5
Osprey  1
Cooper's Hawk  2
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Killdeer  13
Least Sandpiper  8
White-winged Dove  59
Mourning Dove  4
Chimney Swift  9
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  2
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  3
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  2
Downy Woodpecker  3