[texbirds] NW Austin (Travis and Williamson cos.) 10/5 and 10/6

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2013 09:17:10 -0700 (PDT)

I got out to several NW Austin (Travis and Williamson cos.) birding sites on
10/5 and 10/6.  With the impending arrival of the cold front on 10/5, I had
expected to see more, but the birding was generally pretty quiet.  The most
productive stop I had was Bob Wentz/Windy Point Park on Lake Travis (Travis
County).  Highlights there included:

American Wigeon  1
Blue-winged Teal  60
Northern Shoveler  30
Northern Pintail  3
Neotropic Cormorant  1
Osprey  2
Cooper's Hawk  1
American Avocet  2
Black-bellied Plover  1
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Long-billed Curlew  1
Least Sandpiper  1
American Kestrel  1
American Pipit  2

Other stops on 10/5 produced little in the way of migrants; a single
Ruby-crowned Kinglet at Cyrpress Creek Park on Lake Travis and 24 American
Robin and a flock of ~350 Common Grackle at Brushy Creek Sports Park
(Williamson Co.).

Lake Creek Trail (Williamson Co.) was quite productive on 10/6, after the
front, with good numbers and diversity of migrants including several firsts of
the fall for me.  The full Lake Creek trail list for the morning of 10/6:
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  2
Snowy Egret  7
Tricolored Heron  1
Black Vulture  15
Turkey Vulture  75
Osprey  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  2
Broad-winged Hawk  1
Swainson's Hawk  1
Killdeer  12
Rock Pigeon  1
White-winged Dove  60
Mourning Dove  10
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird  2
Downy Woodpecker  2
Northern Flicker  1 (Yellow-shafted)
Least Flycatcher  1
Eastern Phoebe  13