[texbirds] NEW SOUND FROM A NO. MOCKINGBIRD THIS AM, AND AN UNKNOWN BIRD SEEN YESTERDAY AM IN PEARLAND

  • From: "Mira M Pellerin" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mirampellerin@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 14:41:47 -0400

While walking out  to my newspaper box at 7 AM today, I heard what sounded like
a Black Bellied Whistling Duck in a tree in my neighbors yard across the
street, until the bird changed it's tune, into a typical mocker's call.  I have
never heard a mockingbird sound like a duck, let alone this duck, before!

Yesterday AM while riding my trike down my street in the predawn darkness (
around 6:15 AM), I saw a tall, long legged bird, about the size and coloration
of an Am. Bittern, run across the road in front of me about  30 feet away. It
hopped over a small ditch then continued its peculiar gliding run across  a
front yard, then around the corner of the house.  It held it's head almost
straight up, with it's light colored bill pointing skyward! It was dim light,
but the impression that I got was"'Am. Bittern"!

When got past the house, I saw the bird rapidly moving, still with it's head
held straight up, in the back yard, then it disappeared into the shadows of a
large wooden fence.  I never saw it again.  How neat it was to see it, whatever
it was!

Mira M. Pellerin