[texbirds] Re: My "Backyard sightings" post to Texbirds

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 15:35:03 -0500

Can we have the Avenue A lists posted again then?

I think the key to it all is moderation; early in moving to Marathon I
got a few weird off list emails complaining that my posts were useless
to 70% of the state. I'd be ok with West Texas as its own state, but
that's another story -- point being regular posts do take up space and
a weekly or monthly post (of any length) might make more sense than
the near daily updates that Texbirds used to get with every single
FOS/first of season bird from any given yard...

The first half dozen FOS Purple Martin reports for the state are
interesting, but beyond that it's overkill unless it's out of season,
out of range, etc.

I think Sheridan's note about the folks following the list is worth
keeping in mind; while this list IS about ALL birds in the state,
anything in excess is... excess. Susan's Warbler Woods sightings are
about like High Island sightings - people flock to her place to see
things. Private yards have some really interesting things, but I think
posting in moderation is the key.

Anyway, I'm all in favor of weekly/monthly yard updates, but daily
updates from 70% of the state that is irrelevant to me... well, it
goes both ways  =)

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain