[texbirds] Mottled Duck Question

  • From: Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 22:28:46 -0500

Hi All,
I was at Baytown Nature Center east of Houston today and saw two ducks that
I thought looked like Mottled Ducks. The first didn't stick around long
enough for a picture. It looked like a Mallard, but had a strikingly bright
yellow bill and very smooth looking, light caramel neck and head. I did not
have time to look for the black gape. Since Sibley range maps indicate that
Mexican Mallards should not be in this area, the most likely candidate
seemed to be a male Mottled Duck. Later, I came across another duck, with a
similar smooth looking, light head and neck, but this one had an
olive-yellow bill. I assumed this one to be a female based on my field
guide and was able to take some pics. When I looked back at the pictures
and my field guide, Sibley notes that the Mottled duck should have a light
colored crown. It looks to me as though this duck has the black gape and
bill color of a Mottled Duck, but it seems as though the crown is too dark.
Is this a Mottled Duck? A Mallard x Mottled hybrid? Am I way off and is it
clearly a Mallard? Any help would be appreciated, including future ID tips!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33415644@N05/sets/72157652019932171/

Thanks,
Jennifer

--