[texbirds] Re: More on Cassin's Finch

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 16:25:45 -0800

Keith,

I thought it was a Purple Finch when I first looked at my photos. The culmen,
however, is straight, unlike that of the Purple Finch. Do the two species
hybridize?

Bob

On Monday, November 17, 2014 5:29 PM, Robert Becker
<robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I found the Cassin's Finch at 1:45 p.m. today at Resaca de la Palma State Park.
Actually, I didn't have to "find" it. It flew in to the feeders in back of the
park headquarters just after I got there and proceeded to chow down on seed on
the ground with some Inca and Common Ground Doves. It stayed in sight for about
10 minutes. Thank you Sherry and Dick Wilson and Mary Beth Stowe for their
initial reports of this bird on Sunday.

The bird is shy, and is being seen sporadically. Early mornings may be best,
when Sherry puts out the bird seed at 8-8:15 a.m. or so.

A photo of the finch is here, along with a few others from Resaca and Palo Alto
yesterday and today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/sets/72157649012672712/

Bob Becker
Rancho Viejo.