[texbirds] More images of the orange-faced Spizella

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2013 16:06:18 -0400 (EDT)

Here are some more images of the orange-faced Spizella Sparrow.  There appears
to be an injury in the nostril area.  Also the feathering appears strange to me
with the tufts at the sides of the belly and in general the bird appears a bit
scuffy.  After looking abit more at the photos I am leaning against the color
being cause by a foreign substance as it is completely absent on the birds
back.  If the pigment had been spread by preening it seems there would be some
orange or yellow all over.  Are there any records of xanthochroism to this
extent in sparrows?  All of the references I can find on line refer to birds
where darker pigments, usually red  are not expressed allowing the yellow to be
evident.  In this bird the brown and black pigments seemed to be covered by
orange or yellow as in the case of hyperxanthism that Bert referred to.  Is
this worth a paper somewhere?

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/SpizellaIMG_6904_resize_zps21828018.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/SpizellaIMG_6911_resize_zps2a5d470d.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n610/antshrike/SpizellaIMG_6920_resize_zps2c90ba72.jpg