[texbirds] Monte Christo Tract (Hidalgo Co.) 7-19-13

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:25:43 -0500

Went out to the USFW Monte Christo tract with Javi Gonzalez this morning. I
had been out a couple times earlier in the month, but this was the most
diverse morning yet. We got good looks at male Painting Buntings, Blue
Grosbeaks and Horned Larks, along with getting many of the usual
thorn-scrub/forest species. We also had a pair of cooperative Green
Kingfishers along the little canal that runs along the path.
You can get a view of the lake/pond (which is mostly unviewable from
other angles) if you turn west at the edge of a field at Mile 14 road
and head towards the edge of the citrus orchard. There was the assortment
of usual herons and egrets, but may be more worthwhile to check in the
winter months.

Full list at the eBird link:

http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/view/checklist/email?subID=S14684704

--