[texbirds] Mitchell Lake Scoter "Tri-fecta"

  • From: "Mike Dupree" <mdupree8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 17:09:50 -0600

I just returned from a trip to Mitchell Lake to look for the Black Scoter
and the 2 Surf Scoters reported by Bob Doe previously.  Shortly after noon
on Wednesday the 14th I saw a White-winged Scoter in the lake and close to
the bank near the "Pelican Pipe" south of Basin 5.  It was the only duck in
this area.  I got some photos and Bob asked if he could post to SATXbirds.
This morning, the 15th, I returned to continue looking for the Black Scoter.
I was successful in locating a female Black Scoter, a female/juvenile
White-winged Scoter (possibly yesterday's bird), and 2 female/juvenile Surf
Scoters feeding with a mixed group of diving ducks.  The location was the
far shore of Mitchell Lake from the road on the west side of Basin 5.  In
the 2 hours I spent watching this particular group of feeding ducks, they
made several passes up and down the bank.  The line of trees along the road
makes it very difficult to see this area of the lake.  There were several
rafts of non-feeding ducks in the area.