[texbirds] Mississippi Kite, Yellow-throated Vireo, Austin

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 14:49:56 -0500

I had a Mississippi Kite in NW Austin this morning on my way to St. Edwards
Park to stop in for 'just a minute' on my way back to work after an
appointment.
At the park I walked to the spot where the Hutton's Vireo had been seen
just on a thought.  I dipped on that.  But my 'minute' turned into a hike
down the very narrow corridor between the creek and the road all the way to
the park boundary where the creek crosses Spicewood.

I counted 11 White-eyed Vireos singing and 8 Golden-cheeked Warblers.
 These counts are based on hearing as I passed them, usually with one heard
behind me and another in front.  I had glimpses of 2 or 3 of the Warblers.
 Note that this trail is within a few feet of the road, so if you can find
a place to pull over it should not be difficult to locate a warbler.

I also had 2 Orange-crowned Warblers and a Black-throated Green that made
me kick myself for not carrying my camera because I was only going to be a
minute. He alighted about 2' off the ground 12' in front of me on a small
stem practically on the trail.  Oh well, should of had my camera

On to the highlight... I heard a Yellow-throated Vireo.  This was the first
time I was perfectly confident in calling this heard only bird.  Thanks
Jeff!!!  Near the end of the trail just after I turned around I heard
another vireo that I was not sure about.  I listened for a long long time
and eventually became rather confident it was another Yellow-throated, but
it was nagging me just enough that I decided I would not call it.  As I
began to move again it alighted near by in the open and again I was wishing
I had my camera.  It was a Yellow-throated Vireo so I'm felling pretty good
about separating them from Red-eyed.

~Ronnie Kramer
Austin