[texbirds] Mississippi Kite Near Blessing

  • From: "T. David Griffith" <tdavidg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds POST <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:19:23 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Between July 2 and 6 we had several sightings of a Mississippi Kite around our 12.289 acres 3 miles east of Blessing in western Matagorda County. Its distinctive white panels on the top side of its wings were easily observed while flying. It was first seen perched on a dead shrub like tree about 30 yards away that my wife would not let me cut down two years ago. We think we have seen it a couple of more times flying through our Live Oaks.

I am reporting it now after noting that another was a high light in another post on Brazos Bend S.P. Also, checklists for the area state that it is rare with only one or two sightings per season.

David Griffith
Blessing

Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds