[texbirds] Miserable weather but..

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 07:49:48 -0600

.
..I put out seed before daylight and there are perhaps 30-35 birds
appreciating it.  Mostly Cardinals, Field and Chipping Sparrows.  So I am
looking out there and in the dim, cloudy morning light and there is a
lovely Fox Sparrow and even better 4 Juncos.   A species that rarely shows
up on this property anymore with the animals shifting to the north now.  In
the 80's-early 90s this was a common feeder bird but it has been years
since I have had them in any numbers on the property and most years now, I
never have them now. I just spent a week in Oklahoma and saw loads of
these, but it is just not the same as seeing them down here.  There is also
a White-throated Sparrow and the same towhee who has been around a while.
  It is far to miserable for anything but Gladys birding today so this is a
special treat to go with my coffee....And hopefully my hummer gal is still
here.  Feral hogs tilled my front yard well while I was gone....Its OK as
it was getting petty compacted, but I was surprised they were able to flip
over two large sacks of garden soil ...Stepped in one of the "water
features" I had out for several years, busting out the bottom.   Looks like
they also took out the Day Lilies...Oh well
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas