[texbirds] Migrating Couch's Kingbirds

  • From: Martin Reid <upupa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 19:46:05 -0500

Dear All,
While showing a couple of visiting birding friends from England around Mitchell
Lake Audubon Center on the south side of San Antonio this afternoon, we saw a
few groups of up to a dozen Scissor-tailed Flycatchers on the wires at various
points.  Nice enough, but the last group we saw - six or seven birds along the
road next to the Police Academy - were accompanied by fifteen Couch's
Kingbirds.  This is the first time I've seen more than 3 birds in a group
(other than feeding youngsters), and the first time I have witnessed migration
for this species.  Does anyone else have experience of this?  FYI The TOS
Handbook talks about them withdrawing from the northern parts of their range in
the winter; I saw two at their traditional breeding site by the Botanical
Gardens on Monday.
Also, the Black-throated Gray Warbler was still at Denman Park in NW San
Antonio yesterday morning, along with a Pine Warbler, a few Orange-crowned
Warblers, and 10+ Nashvilles.  We were on limited time, and did not cover the
entire park.

Finally from yesterday afternoon I caught the tail end of some raptor migration
from our apartment complex at Fredericksburg Road and Wurzbach in San Antonio:
TUVU - 222; excluding obvious non-moving birds
BLVU - 13; ditto
SWHA - 43 (minimum)
BWHA - 6
COHA - 4