[texbirds] Merlins

  • From: Ervin Fleming <endersgt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 05:59:19 -0700

I spent two days at the Texas Motor Speedway in north Ft Worth watching the Red
Bull Air Races (no plug intended). On Saturday, I noted a large flock of
pigeons (sorry, rock doves) hanging around the SW corner of the Prestige Suite
structure. Nothing extraordinary about that. On Sunday, I noticed a kettle of
about 20 or 25 hawks using the same air space (oddly, the pigeons were nowhere
to be found). But the hawks were feeding, Thru my telephoto I could see the
same behavior that I have seen when the Red Tails feed on bats in the air.
Their aerobatics naturally outperformed the manmade wannabes. At home I
identified them (via imaging) to be Merlins.