[texbirds] Re: McKittrick wren sounds

  • From: Nicholas Block <nlb.birder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 11:10:12 -0500

Hello all,
I've uploaded a sonogram comparison of Cameron Carver's recording and the
Pacific Wren call on xeno-canto.org that Mark Lockwood posted. That
comparison is here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/86368680@N00/15308999774/

Based on this comparison and looking through many other sonograms on
xeno-canto.org, I think Cameron's bird was a Winter Wren. In particular,
the harmonic bands of a typical Winter Wren call, which are absent in
typical Pacific Wren calls, are clearly visible in the sonogram of
Cameron's bird. When I first listened to Cameron's recording, I thought the
call was frustratingly intermediate between Winter and Pacific wrens. My
guess is that this impression was due to Cameron's bird putting a little
more emphasis on its higher frequency harmonics than many Winter Wrens do.

Good birding,
Nick Block
North Easton, MA (formerly TX, a long time ago)