[texbirds] McKinney Falls S.P. - unidentified warbler

  • From: <rdennis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 12:51:15 -0500

I birded McKinney Falls S.P. this morning for three hours.  I only found one
warbler.  It was in the trees along  Onion Creek above the picnic tables
upstream from the upper falls.  There are lots of blue-gray gnatcatchers in
those trees whose activity makes it difficult to find the warblers. I was
unable to identify the warbler.  Sorry but I don’t attempt to photograph
warblers with my little camera.
The warbler had a bright yellow breast.  The belly was white.  I saw no
streaking. The back and wings and tail were gray with two white wing bars.  I
was not able to see if there were eye rings but I feel certain that there was
not any line through the eye.  The cheek was pale – grayish to white.  There
was not a visible necklace.  There was a sort of black malar stripe that curved
around toward the ear.
Could it be an immature parula?  I have searched my field guides and Google but
don’t find anything that matches.

  Birds seen were:

Great Blue Herons
Snowy egrets