[texbirds] McCown's Longspurs at Windy Point

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 18:39:50 -0600

After three hours of failed searching for the Black Scoter yesterday, Nate
McGowan and I were at Windy Point early this morning in hopes that the
Scoter would make a reappearance. It didn't, but we came away with a hell
of a consolation prize. Early in the morning, we were walking along the
eastern shore of the exposed point, and a little bird hopped out about 15
feet in front of us: the first McCown's. We got great but brief looks at
the bird before it flushed, and it flew off joined by another MCLO that
flushed from nearby. As if that wasn't enough, we later found another
McCown's in the grass near the southernmost tip of the point. This bird did
not flush, and allowed us to get equally close and get ridiculously good
looks.
Here are some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/10656807016/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/10656781286/in/photostream/
Also, Nate and I tallied 7 Sprague's Pipits, and the Black-bellied Plover
from yesterday was still hanging around with some Killdeer.

Sam Fason,
Austin.