[texbirds] McAllen to Freer (almost)

  • From: MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 21:14:18 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

The first day of this proposed "Big Week" started off reasonably well
(picking up Hooded Oriole at the Falfurrias checkpoint ain't half bad); besides

the normal roadside birds a "rest stop" along a hidden county road just out
of  Ramirez added a slough of Valley-type birds, including White-tipped
Dove, Olive  Sparrow, Long-billed Thrasher, Brown-crested Flycatcher, Couch's
Kingbird, and  best of all, a singing Audubon's Oriole!  several Swainson's
Hawks were  resting on poles along SR 339, and Caracaras were of course out
the yin  yang.  Continuing north picked up a Turkey along the road!

Didn't get very far out of Benavidas, however, when a Deer with a Death
Wish bolted RIGHT out in front of Bippy with no time to react whatsoever!
(I'm pleased to report that the air bag worked famously...:-P)  Thankfully
there were no injuries (except for the deer), and a nice couple out of Carrizo
 and a couple of Duval sheriff's deputies hung around as long as they could
to  make sure I was okay (they had lots of horror stories to tell about
deer  collisions that turned out a lot worse than mine).  This happened between
 eight and nine, and the tow truck didn't get there until about two, but in
the  interval had a TREMENDOUS liftoff of Swainson's Hawks, plus lots of
other  thornscrub birds to keep me company such as Painted Bunting, Cassin's
Sparrows,  flyover Dickcissels, my FOS Western Kingbird and Bank Swallows, a
singing  Roadrunner, and even a bizarre-looking White-lined Sphinx larva!
(At least  that's the closest match I could find...)  So now I'm back in
McAllen until  Monday when I can get Bippy into the shop and get a rental, and
hopefully  salvage SOME of this Big Week! :-P

Pictures are posted here (warning: I included the deer...):

http://miriameaglemon.com/Trip%20Reports/Big%20Week%202014/Day%201%20McAllen
%20to%20Freer.html

Bird List:

  Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Wild  Turkey                            Meleagris gallopavo
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Harris's  Hawk                          Parabuteo unicinctus
Swainson's  Hawk                        Buteo swainsoni
Red-tailed  Hawk                        Buteo jamaicensis
American  Coot                          Fulica americana
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Common  Ground-Dove                     Columbina passerina
White-tipped  Dove                      Leptotila verreauxi
Greater  Roadrunner                     Geococcyx californianus
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Ash-throated  Flycatcher                Myiarchus cinerascens
Brown-crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus tyrannulus
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Couch's  Kingbird                       Tyrannus couchii
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Bank  Swallow                           Riparia riparia
Cave  Swallow                           Petrochelidon fulva
Black-crested  Titmouse                 Baeolophus atricristatus
Verdin                                 Auriparus flaviceps
Bewick's  Wren                          Thryomanes bewickii
Cactus  Wren                            Campylorhynchus brunneicapillus
Long-billed  Thrasher                   Toxostoma longirostre
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
Olive  Sparrow                          Arremonops rufivirgatus
Cassin's  Sparrow                       Peucaea cassinii
Lark  Sparrow                           Chondestes grammacus
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Pyrrhuloxia                            Cardinalis sinuatus
Painted  Bunting                        Passerina ciris
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed  Cowbird                        Molothrus aeneus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Hooded  Oriole                          Icterus cucullatus
Audubon's  Oriole                       Icterus graduacauda
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
48 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)