[texbirds] Re: "Mark's" Tern

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 05:25:41 -0400 (EDT)

Shouldn't answer this another insult but I will for benefit of others to
see who is judging me.

........1) Why go through all this hassle on Texbirds without at least
giving a BS explanation of why the location was not disclosed? I'm sure a
simple  "it's on private property" or "I don't want people harassing the bird"
would've  calmed most people. .......

Wrote with unnecessary vulgar word but we all have different backgrounds.
You wrote me a private RE: email right after my last post (as stated before
no  private emails of this kind will be answered) so you are aware of my
reasons.  Valid or not to you (that is how I translate your urban vocabulary) -
not my  problem. I already noted that I expect this - some people would
find my reasons  not important.

.......2) Why are all photos of the bird only in flight and with royal
terns? Just seems logical that a perched photo would've been obtained, perhaps
with a sandwich tern present as well. Unless there was something to hide.

What seems to be logical to you  evidently and simply is not. That  much
for your logic.
I found this bird in my camera viewfinder when taking  off with flock of
ROYT. Sure I knew that I probably have ELTE even that I only  saw one before
in Sonora, Mexico, and far away but have many books published on  terns so I
was familiar with this species even if only from drawing and photos.  I
guess in birder’s vocabulary it was a ‘bomb’. Knowing what it most likely
is I
kept taking photos of just this bird - 56 in total during 29 seconds before
it  was gone. Could I follow it. Yes. Did I? No. Why? I was in the car
already on my  way trying to go to other spots looking for more LETEs. Did I
succeeded with  more LETEs on that day. No. I had 1.5 hour left of the daylight
and hit only  empty spots. Did I regretted for no staying and trying to
follow ELTE? Yes. But  if I did not try to find more LETEs I would feel guilty.
 Sorry these guys  are more important to me just before they left for
winter grounds than one out  of place ELTE and I already had good photo
documentation of later, never enough  of former. So what you want me to do -
paste
SATE in PS? Why not eagle - photo  would look better. Was something to hide?
Yes. I try in the field to hide from  people like you.
........3) Why ask for an "ID" help in the first  email when, for someone
that studies terns ask much as Mark had to know it was  an elegant tern? Only
reason I can think of is for an ego-boost. .......

Weak thinking again and I did not ask for help to ID, only to confirm the
ID.
Ego stuff again? Most people is usually judging others by their own
weaknesses. Worry about your own ego not others. I have no need to boost  mine.

........4) Every birder that I know has a select few people that they would
 call, especially for an ID on a rare bird. I find it odd that apparently
nobody  was called or they are keeping their mouth's shut also. I know when I
find a  suspect for a rare bird I make at least a couple calls to people
that know more  than I do about the bird in question. ......

Again you are speaking for yourself and expecting others to do what you
will do; and this unpleasant language again.

.......Just so everyone on Texbirds knows, when I find "my" elegant tern in
 Port Aransas and after I get my pics and call my buddies, EVERYONE on
Texbirds  will get specific directions to it. ........

Not long time ago you were swearing to never post on Texbirds again - all
over the internet (and practically cursing some members - now ELTE for
EVERYONE  from you; what a huge metamorphosis). Did not take long to brake this
promises,  right? Why anything else you say or do should be trustworthy? Man
should stand  behind his words - very old proverb.

I do understand that you need clients to take them and show them the birds.
 You also post records of bunch of birds in just county location, without
any  details. How I know that - because I check eBird for arrival and
departure days.  I do not care for locations, county is more than enough. I go
my own spots to  look for them.

.......I tried to stay out of this discussion as long as I possibly could
but many people that are MUCH better birders than Mark and I had very valid
points...........

Lie or true? Are you sure you did not comment on that somewhere else? And
how many times I have to repeat that I am not a birder; stated clearly on my
 site as well. So ANY birder is better than me. I have no problem with tha
t.

You do not plan to kick my tripod, do you? Do not, it is impossible, I do
not use one.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 9/21/2013 2:44:57 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
mcintyrebirds@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I tried  to stay out of this discussion as long as I possibly could but
many people  that are MUCH better birders than Mark and I had very valid
points. My  questions are as followed.

[...]

Hopefully we have all learned a lesson from this bird,  no matter where it
was photographed.  I know that it has shown me the  importance of sharing
rare sightings with others in order to document it  thoroughly.  The way I
look at it, I still would get my "ego-boost" if I  was the original finder of a
mega-rarity. I hope that all members of the TBRC  take a close look at this
bird and it's surroundings and also take into  consideration the observers
behavior before accepting this vague and what  would be an important Texas
record.

Just so everyone on Texbirds  knows, when I find "my" elegant tern in Port
Aransas and after I get my pics  and call my buddies, EVERYONE on Texbirds
will get specific directions to it.

Jon McIntyre
Ingelside

Sent from my iPhoneEdit your  Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at
//www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

Reposting of traffic from  TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission
from the List  Owner