[texbirds] Mama Clapper Rail and youngsters

  • From: Robert Becker <robertjbecker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2015 01:43:49 +0000 (UTC)

I visited Magic Ridge this morning then headed over to the Port Lavaca Bird
Sanctuary. There, I was treated to a fascinating demonstration of parenting
behavior by a female Clapper Rail as she went about finding food items for four
(!) peeping, trailing chicks. The adult fed the chicks  a small crustacean, a
snail and a minnow during a non-stop sweep around and under the boardwalk. The
coal-black chicks took turns pulling apart the food and swallowing it. three of
the chicks, seemingly tired, finally sat down together and rested. The 4th
continued frantically following Mother. Here are three photos of the rails at
my Flickr site. (Flickr, once a great site for photographers, has again
re-designed the site since it was acquired by Yahoo. My apologies for the
site's ever-deteriorating appearance).
https://www.flickr.com/photos/13451078@N03/sets/72157651636346951 Magic Ridge
had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, a Common Nighthawk, and a single Northern
Bobwhite. Bob BeckerNow in Victoria