[texbirds] Male mountain bluebird at Attwater Refuge

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2012 14:59:42 -0600

I spent the morning birding Attwater refuge and then on out on my route
through Eagle Lake. Not much around and the refuge continues to become more
sterile with each visit.
That was made up a little by a male mountain bluebird eating wasps along
the edge of the tour route just a couple hundred yards from where you meet
the entrance road from the highway.  It put on a great show for a good bit
in the bright sunlight.

Not too much else around and the planned for leconte's and grasshopper
sparrows were hard to find although there were lots of savannah sparrows.
And a few white-crowned, vesper, lincoln's etc.

The side roads that always have water and rice for goose hunters were bare.
The water there comes from the LCRA authority which cut off the rice
farmers last year and probably next year too. I did not find a single wet
field and finally gave up.

I tried all of the good spots from last year for towhees, bewick's wrens,
harris's sparrows etc and did not find a single stray.

The cemetary in Eagle Lake did have several tooting red-breasted nuthatches.

But then who needs those kinds of birds when there is a mountain bluebird
for the day.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston