[texbirds] Mad Island WMA and White-cheeked Pintail hunt

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2014 20:52:04 -0500

Doug Ghrist and I joined 20-odd enthusiastic birders on a visit to Mad
Island WMA in Matagorda county this morning. Brent Ortego led the group and
quickly located the White-cheeked Pintail, which was quite cooperative,
giving good views, and hopefully diagnostic photos. Doug and I only birded
with the group till before noon, but had 17 shorebird species, including a
Hudsonian Godwitm, White-rumped and Baird's Sandpipers and 100+ Wilson's
Phalaropes. Eight duck species besides the White-cheeked Pintail were seen,
including lingering Canvasback and Northern Pintail.
Brent and others continued birding in the afternoon, and the ebird list he
sent me included Glossy Ibis and Black-billed Cuckoo.

A truly outstanding birding location. Thanks to Brent for taking us all in
there today, and for the good company that everyone provided.

Peter Barnes
Tyler