[texbirds] Lucifer Hummingbird at Study Butte

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 18:37:44 -0600

Texbirders,
Today on our normal banding rounds in the Lajitas/Terlingua area we were
very surprised to catch and band an adult male Lucifer Hummingbird at the
casitas at the Far Flung Outdoor Center in Study Butte.  He was a very
healthy bird that had finished a partial wing molt but had not started his
body molt yet.  The last known record this fall for the species was October
23.  Our last banding session there was November 18 when no hummingbirds
were present there at all.  If he arrived at that location Thanksgiving
week, he endured two very significant winter weather events.

We caught 16 other hummingbirds today including 10 Anna's and 6 Rufous, the
expected wintering species for the area.  The above record should represent
the first winter record for Texas and perhaps the US.  KBB

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/