[texbirds] Louisiana Winter Bird Atlas supplemental season, atlasers needed on TX-La border

  • From: Richard Gibbons <rgibbo3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Matt Brady <podoces@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:48:17 -0600

Dear Texbirders,
I am reposting a message from the Louisiana Birding list with the
justification that the Louisiana Winter Bird Atlas is a very useful
resource for Texas birders. The project has managed to draw observers out
into unbirded areas and the data, entered into eBird, has provided a better
snapshot of winter birdlife in the southern tier of states. There is very
little birding going on along the Texas-Louisiana border and what the
Louisiana birders have managed to do is very impressive. If you have done
much eBird species mapping for East Texas, you may have noticed the stark
disparity of coverage on equally rural sides of the border. Try the last 10
winters for Eastern Towhee in winter as an example:

http://ebird.org/ebird/tx/map/eastow?neg=true&env.minX=-99.26112396712153&env.minY=28.468588946132705&env.maxX=-87.48378021712153&env.maxY=33.27533807233971&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=12-2&bmo=12&emo=2&yr=last10

The project was extended one more season in an attempt to fill in some
coverage holes and I thought Texas birders might consider crossing the
border ever so slightly to help turn some quadrangles from gray to green or
green to red in this last season.

Please see message below for the message from Matt Brady, project lead.

Sorry if this topic is out of bounds, but inquiries to get permission were
unanswered.

Richard Gibbons
Houston, TX