[texbirds] Loons and Gulls at Lake Tawakoni Nov. 6

  • From: Richard <rdkrsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 19:07:05 -0500 (EST)

Today I birded Lake Tawakoni Hunt Rains and Van Zandt Cos.  Highlights were:
In Lake Tawakoni S.P. 1 Bald Eagle, 1 Common Loon.  Good numbers of Pine
Siskins and Golden-crowned Kinglets.
At Holiday Marina and the public boat launch in Van Zandt Co.  1 Lesser
Black-backed Gull, and incredible for here 32 Herring Gulls. There were many
gulls way out on the lake that I couldnt id.  Also 44 loons 40 were Commons the
others were too distant to id.  2-3 Horned Grebes and 1 Black-bellied Plover.
In the woods behind the spillway a mixed flock of 50-75 American Goldfinches
and Pine Siskins.
On the Rains Co. beach a Snowy Plover, a fairly late Stilt Sandpiper and 1
Sprague's Pipit.
There are large numbers of Gulls scattered all over the lake and most are
moving around a lot.
Richard Kinney
near Lake Tawakoni, TX