[texbirds] List Owner Message - Posting to TEXBIRDS

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds - Email <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 21:32:47 -0600

TEXBIRDer's,
I'd like to clear the air on some rumors and accusations that have been
reaching me lately. The process to post to TEXBIRDS is very straight
forward, send a message to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx That's it, nothing else
is needed. Keep the message about birds in Texas and end your message with
your full name and your location.

There are no favorites on TEXBIRDS, everyone is welcome and yes your
backyard Cardinals are just as welcome as a Little Gull. Everyone can post
as long as they follow the rules above. The has been a lot of bullying
about whats worth posting, and I think that is whats leading to many not
posting. I can understand why some feel damned if they do and damned if
they don't. If you post in a public forum you have to expect anyone can
reply to you. I will defend your treatment and demand people be civil with
you on the list, but I can't and don't expect everyone to agree with you.

If you have never posted before, or you have unsubscribed and resubscribed,
you post will go to moderation. I have the list set up to prevent spam and
to prevent those VERY few people who will be on permanent moderation from
circumventing it by resubscribing. If everything looks good on your first
post, i.e. its on topic you ended by properly identifying yourself. I will
most likely take you off moderation with that first message. If you
identify yourself as being from out of state I will likely leave you on
moderation for 2-3 messages because I've just had more out of state birders
try to bend the rules about posting out of state information.

If you are someone I would likely recognize from the list and you want to
be taken off moderation, I'll take you off if you drop me a note.

If you don't want to subscribe, at least for now you can still post, but
you most follow the rules above, and all of your post will be moderated.

Moderation is tricky, I try to check the queue several times a day, but
that's hard when you're just very busy at work and at home. Sometimes I
miss getting to a moderated message before it expires. At least 80% of the
moderated messages these days are from those who choose to read the
archives and not subscribe, so that accounts for most of the messages that
expire. I take that as the risk you run if you choose not to  subscribe. A
better option if you worry about your posts being delayed is to subscribe
and put yourself on vacation hold, or digest mode. vacation will hold your
mail, and digest will send only one message a day with whole days postings.

I have the over quote feature turned on. If you quote more than 16 lines
from another message it will be auto moderated. If you are adding something
to the discussion I will usually approve it, I won't if its just a wise
crack or a "me to" message. Please trim your quote to just the relevant
parts, we don't need 10 signatures in one message in the archives.
Houston, TX
(713) 412-4409 twitter ID dsarkozi

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM, Sheridan Coffey <sngcanary@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Ed Wetzel texted me earlier about a Little Gull at Lake Ray Hubbard. I
> asked Ed if it had been sent to Texbirds. He told me he would try. It has
> not gone through, so I am posting it, as I know some people might like to
> get this bird.

happened with the Red-necked Grebe at White Rock Lake. I will be happy to