[texbirds] Lesser Nighthawks

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2013 21:06:22 -0500

Late this evening I had 8 Lesser Nighthawks working low over the front ponds at
the Junction Wastewater Facility. There could have been more over the fields
adjacent to the area. I even noticed the buffy bar on the females, often at
close range. Other birds noted included: Chimney Swifts (25+), Cave and Cliff
Swallows, Spotted Sandpiper (calling), and unidentified shorebirds flying over
but size-wise looked like Calidris.
Another place to check for Lesser Nighthawks in the Junction area is over the
lights at McDonald's. I have had them there many times but haven't checked much
recently. Steve Gross had several over the lights at the Best Western recently
in early a.m.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Texas