[texbirds] Least Tern June 13 fledglings/disaster year on UTC/roofs

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 14:52:47 -0400 (EDT)

It was nice to see first 4-5 fledglings showing up on June 13. As one can
see in photo one juvenile was almost freshly fledged (still with leftover of
 natal feathers on its head) and another was little older.

This spring I spent quite a lot of time on Bolivar Peninsula and also
visited other parts of  the coast on UTC. Situation looks very bad with  LETE.
Despite some people keep saying that there is no ‘so bad’ I rather see
that
situation is very bad during last few years. Bolivar flats once a great
place for nesting LETE now is practically empty and only on some days few LETE
 can be seen - this small flock seems to keep just touring from one place
to  another on the peninsula. Although my main interest now is in non
breeding LETE  it is sad that in near future we might not have many  (if any)
LETE
around  here.

In some places, like in Florida, nesting on roofs is not only encouraged
but nesting LETE receive help. If I remember right one chick kept constantly
falling down before fledged - it was brought back to the roof every time it
 fell. There is no doubt that nesting on natural grounds is better. Problem
is  that natural places are either shrinking or are gone (look at fast
tempo of  development during last few years on Bolivar Peninsula). And the
roofs
might be  a last resort to save these birds. They will need assistance but
look how  successful is DOW with their Black Skimmer colony that is
‘managed’
 (not on roof  but plenty help is offered). Without this colony BLSK could
be already very rare  around here (I have seen some effort to rope some
space on Texas City Dike this  year, despite that they quite nesting year
before, but now all poles are gone  long time ago) - also BLSK can nest on
roofs
as well.

So here are a few LETE fledglings from week ago. After they fledge they
start to follow parents so no way to tell were they hatched or where they will
 be the next day.

Parent feeding juvenile in shallow water
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150909921
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150909928
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150909928

On the ground

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150909933

And comparison of slightly different ages

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/150909962

A few more photos showing fledgling on the wing and shaking in  midair:

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/least_tern__feeding_young_in_shallow_water___utc__s
pring_2013

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas