[texbirds] Late Cooke county sightings; and Wilbarger county bird 277

  • From: Brady Surber <supersurber@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:46:11 -0500

Hi all,

Sorry for the very lateness of this first part.

Last Thursday, October 18, I was in rural Cooke county doing some vegetation
surveys on a private ranch. After work while relaxing outside near the cabin we
stay in while there a flood of warblers came through. They only stayed for
about five minutes. Below is what I got descent enough looks at to ID.

They included:
 Prothonotary Warbler-1
Tennessee Warbler-1
Orange-crowned Warbler-1
Nashville Warbler-2
American Redstart-1 female
BLACKBURNIAN WARBLER-1 male
Black-throated Green Warbler-1

Other interesting birds while in Cooke county:
Western Meadowlarks-I usually get 1 or 2 while at this site. Significantly more
than usual this time.

molting Red-headed Woodpecker-somehow this was the first time I had encountered
this species in the county.

Now for Wilbarger county:

Yesterday, 24 October, I had a Golden Eagle sitting in a winter wheat field 20
yards off the road as we drove to a research site. This is county bird 277 for
me, and might put the collective list I have been compiling over 300( it was in
the 290s) last time I checked.

Look out Big City, Coastal, and over birded counties, there is about to be a
new player from country bumpkin part of Texas in the 300 game.

Good birdin' y'all,

Brady Surber
Vernon, TX