[texbirds] Laredo TOS meeting--Laredo--April 18-20

  • From: "Jim Hailey" <irasciblej@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "TOS" <TOS-List@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 10:16:49 -0600

The Laredo Birding Festival was a huge success this past weekend.  We had a
sold out banquet of 88 who heard an interesting and amusing Sandy Komito
related his 1998 Big Year experiences.  Thanks to Chuck Sexton, Lee Hoy,
Susan Foster, Judy Kestner and Sandy Komito who did an amazing job of trip
leading.  The tentative number of species seen is 155--among some of the
more interesting were numerous White-collared Seedeaters, all three
kingfishers, Zone-tailed, Gray and White -tailed Hawks, Red-billed Pigeon,
Western Grebe, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, and the all the other South Texas
specialties.  About the only miss I can think of would be the Muscovy Duck.
We hope to do the festival again next year.  And our next TOS meeting will
be in Laredo April 18-20, so save those dates and look for the announcement
as to what trips will be available.  April in Laredo will feature breeding
birds and migrating warblers.  If you haven't birded Laredo you don't know
what you have missed.  And a BIG thanks to all of you who attended this
years festival.

Jim Hailey
President Elect
Texas Ornithological Society