[texbirds] Lake Tawakoni today: Van Zandt and Rains county

  • From: peter barnes <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 15:47:58 -0500

Richard Kinney, Ross Rasmussen and I birded the woods below the spillway
off Hwy 47 at Lake Tawakoni (Van Zandt county) this morning. There were
impressive numbers of singing birds, with 30-40 Nashville Warblers, 10-15
Tennessees and 10-15 Swainson's Thrushes. We tallied 15 warbler species,
highlighted by single Golden-winged, Kentucky, American Redstart, and
Black-throated Green Warblers. We heard several Pileated and Hairy
Woodpeckers, Least and Acadian Flycatchers were singing, Broadwinged,
Swainson's and Sharp-shinned Hawks flew over, and we had 10-15 Baltimore
Orioles.
At Cedar Cove, there were 3 Hudsonian Godwits, as well as Pectoral,
Baird's, Least and Spotted Sandpipers, and lingering Gadwalls and Northern
Shovelers.

At Tanglewood Marina, a Greater Roadrunner on the mudflats was an
incongruous sight.

Peter Barnes
Tyler