[texbirds] Laguna Gloria -- Sunday 27th (and Austin Area -- Saturday 26th)

  • From: Elliott Gordon <tengalloncat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 19:04:38 -0600

A little before noon on Saturday, I hopped in the car and headed for
Granger. The main goal was obviously Whooping Cranes, alas I could not find
them. Willis Creek Park was pleasant, but the clouds and light sprinkles made
it hard to ID some of the sparrows. White-crowned Sparrows were singing almost
non-stop. Also, I had good looks at a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. Just inside
was a group of Black Vultures, with a couple Turkey Vultures, an American
Kestrel, and a Crested Caracara. Just outside the park, a Red-shouldered
Hawk was chilling by the road, with a few Lincoln's Sparrows near
by.Driving around near and
on CR 352 netted plenty of Eastern Meadowlarks and one Northern Harrier.
Closer to home, a quick stop at the Arbor Walk's Lake Fail yielded a
cooperative
Orange-crowned Warbler and Loggerhead Shrike, along with a flock of Red-winged
Blackbirds feeding on the ground and, of course, plenty of ducks.

This afternoon, Laguna Gloria was generally quiet. I finally saw a
Blue-headed Vireo (and got a picture), it has been avoiding me. There were
four Pied-billed Grebes in the laguna, where the water level has risen
atleast one foot.

Perhaps more interesting, an Eastern Screech-Owl has been roosting in my
backyard in the evenings. Also, a Bewick's Wren continues to vocalize
around the house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gordonbird/

Elliott M. Gordon
Austin, TX