[texbirds] Lafitte's Cove - Bell's Vireo and 9 Warbler Species

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 14:23:05 -0500

After a three month hiatus I'm finally back to birding. I worked the coast
from Quintana to Galveston this morning. Generally quiet around Quintana in
terms of land migrants with just a few Orioles and Yellow Warblers. Decent
numbers and diversity of shorebirds and waders at the usual places but
nothing out of the ordinary. Bay Ave. in Surfside has its usual resting
flock of plovers, about 50 Semipalmated, 5 Wilson's, 5 Piping and 1 Black
Bellied on a quick scan. Also had Black Tern at that location.

Despite the late morning heat birds were rather active at Lafitte's. The
best of which was a cooperative Bell's Vireo. Plenty of Flycatchers,
Orioles and Swallows on the move. A general breakdown of the birds at
Lafitte's is below.

Eastern Pewee - 3
Yellow Bellied Flycatcher - 2
Willow/Alder Flycatcher - 5
Least Flycatcher - 1
Great Crested Flycatcher - 3
Eastern Kingbird - 2

Bell's Vireo - 1

Nashville Warbler - 1
Yellow Warbler - 8
Black and White Warbler - 7
Worm Eating Warbler - 1
Kentucky Warbler - 2
Mourning Warbler - 3
Hooded Warbler - 3
Canada Warbler - 3
Yellow Breasted Chat - 2

Painted Bunting - 3

Baltimore Oriole - 12

Also of note, the first decent "cold" front since spring should pass across
the state late Friday through Saturday night, reaching the UTC Saturday
late afternoon or evening. While this front will only knock about 10
degrees off highs for SE TX it certainly looks like the northerly winds in
its wake will be strong enough to cause some turnover in migrants.

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX